Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given to you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Live the questions now, and perhaps without even knowing it, you will live along some distant day into the answers. - Rainer Maria Rilke

Monday, May 30, 2011

Week 13: Day 1, Sketches, Doodles & Art

This week I am continuing with the new format and will be using week 12's photo for inspiration.  This week my focus will be on Sketches, Doodles & Art:



One thing that sea shells always remind me of is the golden ratio.  It is something I learned about design while in school - the ratio of 1.618 to 1. It's found in both nature and architecture. The golden ratio is found in the nautilus shell, pine cones, roses and sunflowers to name  a few.  The Egyptians and Greeks used the ratio in architecture (Great Pyramid of Giza, and Parthenon). Even our bodies have the golden ratio in the  relationship of our eyes, nose, ears and mouth.  



The mathematician Fibonacci developed the Fibonacci Series based on the ratio (it's not exact, but close): each number of the series is the sum of the two preceding number.  


So now you know how my brain works...show me a sea shell, and learn all about math!  I am what I am!  I'm not sure exactly sure what this has to do with my sketching, doodles and art.  Stay tuned to find out!

No comments: