Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given to you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Live the questions now, and perhaps without even knowing it, you will live along some distant day into the answers. - Rainer Maria Rilke

Friday, June 3, 2011

Week 13: Days 2 & 3 - Sketches

This week has been crazy trying to tweak &improve my updated website.  It's not complete yet, but it's almost done.  I'll let you know when we (my sister and I) get it finished.

Even though I haven't posted much this week, I have been doing some sketching.

Sand Dollar Sketches
This is the whole sand dollar...which I later broke.  I had forgotten how fragile they are! This one I love.  I had fun really looking at the sand dollar and noticing small details I have not ever noticed before...like the star in the middle. So cool!

whole sand dollar

The first broken sand dollar I think is horrible.  The shell was on an angle with the interior facing me.  The depth and foreshortening are not accurate.  Part of the problem, I think, is that there is no reference to what's around it.  It was interesting to look inside and see all the little chambers, but again, I had a difficult time showing that in the sketch.

broken sand dollar inside
The second broken sand dollar I liked, then I looked at it again, and don't really like it too much!  The edges are too hard, and the shading is too light.  When I looked at it again just now, I saw a turtle shell and not a sand dollar...oh well!

broken sand dollar


At a different angle, I think that the broken edges don't really come across very well, and there is no depth between the top and bottom of the inside of the sand dollar.

broken sand dollar


Yes, I am my own worst critic.  I know what I have been able to do in the past and it was much better than this.  But....I haven't practiced drawing in years, so I'm not disappointed with what I have done.  

Gesture Drawings
Last night I had to take my nephew to soccer practice.  I took my sketchbook and tried to do some gesture drawings of the kids as they played....the main problem I had with that was that they moved too fast, and it was hard to capture them in action.  Here are a few that rated posting!

KK sitting watching the practice

JD with the ball

little boy playing with the cones


No comments: