Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given to you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Live the questions now, and perhaps without even knowing it, you will live along some distant day into the answers. - Rainer Maria Rilke

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

It's a Creative Tuesday

Inspiration Photo
The Today is the day that I have to think outside the box and create something in a different media.  I love the shapes and textures in the photo, so I decided to do a 3 dimensional design.

The design is yet to come.  I'm still working on a freelance job that needs to get to the printer tonight....aaaaahhhhh....so the finished piece you will see tomorrow, unless I can get everything done tonight.  Since I'd like to go ahead and post (to fulfill the challenge), for right now you can see my process of what I have started.


The Story of My Sculpture

When I was at ASU, that isArizona State University (ASU in this area is Appalachian State, so I have to distinguish myself from the "other ASU" alumni!) one of my first art classes was 3-D art.  I only took it because it was required!

Up to that point all I had ever done was 2-D paintings and drawings.  It opened up a whole new world for me and I found a new side to my creativity.  One of my favorite place to shop for supplies was Home Depot.  Everything in there had the potential to become something other that what it was intended for.

So today I decided to look around the house for something that I could use to create a sculpture of my inspiration.  So this is what I did:

I took coffee filters, and piled them a couple hight and colored them with water-based markers, nothing pretty, just scribbles.



Then took a cup of water and poured it over the filters.  When I wrung out the water, most of the color went with it :(.   This was not the look I hoped to see.






So I started again, this time with 2 stacks colored differently.



Then I used a spray bottle to wet them instead of soaking them.



Then I flipped them to see if they went all the way through.  then I separated them to let them dry, which didn't take long at all!






After they dried, I cut them into quarters, thirds and halves.  As soon as I get a moment, I will start creating a sculpture from it and other pieces.  Until later.....

No comments: