Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given to you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Live the questions now, and perhaps without even knowing it, you will live along some distant day into the answers. - Rainer Maria Rilke

Monday, January 24, 2011

Sketching Monday

I got my sketching done....and as you will see it's been a while!  And I didn't pick an easy photo. But that's ok, cuz I love a challenge!  I do have to say that it felt good to pick up a pencil again!

The first sketch I did was a blind contour drawing.  Basically I looked at the image and didn't look as I drew the edges of the image. In school I used to do these with charcoal and large newsprint.  I just loved it.



The second one I didn't like, so I didn't finish it, but when I went back to take the photo (had to improvise since my scanner died) I didn't think it was so bad after all!



This one is more light and shadow sketching.  I had fun with this one.



This one was more a gesture drawing, just giving the basics of what I was seeing...although I think it ended up looking like I was just scribbling.



It was definitely fun to pick up a pencil and draw again, but I will need to get a larger sketch book, and a new set of drawing pencils.

Have you ever tried any of these sketching styles?  What is your favorite?  Do you have any suggestions on how I can improve my sketching?

Decided to post a few of Katy's photos that I liked!  Not bad for an aspiring photographer?







2 comments:

D said...

So cool! I am loving the adventure!

Unknown said...

These are quite amazing. I love your work. You are doing a great job with this blog.