Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given to you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Live the questions now, and perhaps without even knowing it, you will live along some distant day into the answers. - Rainer Maria Rilke

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Week 7, Day 5: A Really Willy Wonka Day

Early this afternoon:
Today is a really Willy Wonka day!  My daughter K had her 2nd performance of Willy Wonka this morning and has the last performance of Willy Wonka tonight.   I am so impressed with the cast, the backstage crew and all the hard work of the teachers to pull this all together.  The performance today was even better than Tuesday night.  I am hoping it will be really awesome tonight!  Katy doesn't know that her grandmother, aka Nana, is coming in to see it.  We decided to surprise her!

This morning I got to see a different side of the play as I helped backstage with keeping the kids in order & quite, getting them on and off stage at the right time, and helping with props.  It was fun, but I enjoy sitting back and watching much better.

I may have to help again tonight, but that's ok, they are making a dvd of it.  I'm also taking my camera and can hopefully get a good video of her main scene tonight!

Later this afternoon:
So I decided to find a tutorial that will help me recreate the water fountain.  I found an article in Smashing Magazine that had water effect tutorials.  

So I tried this one, and created the water coming out of the elephant's trunk.


It's not really the effect I was looking for, but I did learn that I can warp an section of the image.


Then I tried this tutorial:  Quick Tips #57 on CreativeTechs.com, and added raindrops on the leaf.


It was a video tutorial, and super easy to follow, but mine didn't look as good as the image they used.  I don't know if it was because I used my own leaf and the color was different or what.  This was a great tutorial because it shows how you can use effects in different ways so they create different effects.

Ok, so now I need to know how to do streaming water like rain.  So I followed this tutorial from GiveUpAlready.

I made a paint brush in Photoshop!
Really easy!



And like the name of the website, I'm ready to give up already.  It was a tough tutorial to follow, mainly because there were a couple of missing instructions.  I know PS well enough to figure some of it out, but I had trouble getting my brush to work correctly.  And like yesterday, when life gives you lemonade, MAKE ART!

So I've learned 3 ways to create water.  Where this leads tomorrow I don't know, so stay tuned!


Late tonight I wrote this:
Willy Wonka is OVER!!!  Yee haw!  I had a ton of fun with it, but I'm glad it's over.  K did a great job on her solo.  I'm so proud of her. The rest of the cast and crew did a phenomenal job also!

Cast warm-ups


Mrs. Droop, Mrs. Droop.....
It's Gloop, G-L-O-O-P


The golden ticket winners going into the Factory





No comments: