Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given to you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Live the questions now, and perhaps without even knowing it, you will live along some distant day into the answers. - Rainer Maria Rilke

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Week 2, Day 3 Is Getting Creative! Part 1

So this morning I went to my press check.  It's been a long time since I've been at a printers and  I am amazed at the new technology!  I did know about it, but to see it is the amazing part.  When I went to school for graphic design computers were only used for typesetting.  All my print production classes -- obsolete!  Most of what I learned to do -- set type, measure columns & text, ruby liths, make camera ready art, make films and plates -- are processes that aren't even used anymore.  Everything now is digital goes straight from your computer file a printing plate, then to the printer, and in some cases files go direct to press.

The press sheet.  It is an 11x17 sheet that will fold
in half vertically, then horizontally.  This is one
side of the printed sheet with the other side being
the same but flipped.

So I was sketching this afternoon while my daughter K was trying to do her homework at the same table  -- big mistake!  I love her dearly, but she drove me crazy.  She was humming, singing, and hitting the chair against the table.  Definitely not the quiet time I was hoping for.  I managed to keep my patience, and not get mad.  I was proud of myself.

My first sketch was of the inspiration image.  Rather boring actually.  What I liked about  the photo was the details of the iron fleur de lis.

1st sketch
So I decided to focus on the elements of the iron work.

sketch of iron elements


And then, using other photos with more detail, and drew one post.


Sketch 3

 So for now that's it.  I guess I'll still be  playing catchup tomorrow.  I hope you enjoy the sketches.  I am thinking that my design this week will incorporate all the shape elements of the iron work.

No comments: