Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given to you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Live the questions now, and perhaps without even knowing it, you will live along some distant day into the answers. - Rainer Maria Rilke

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Week 5, Day 1: An Inspirational Sunday

This week I decided to do something a little different.  


You may notice at the top of my blog I have a saying from Rainer Maria Rilke.  I first heard this quote at the end of the semester while taking 3-D art.  It's important to understand that at the beginning of the semester our instructor came into class and said "Draw me an egg."  That was the only thing that she would say to us.  We all wondered why, but she would never say anything except "Dray me an egg."  At the end of the semester, she gave us a copy of this quote which was typed in an egg shape.

Be patient 
toward all that is unsolved 
in your heart 
and try to love 
the questions themselves. 
Do not now seek the answers, 
which cannot be given to you 
because you would not be able 
to live them. 
And the point is to live everything. 
Live the questions.

It took me a long time to understand that what she was trying to teach us is that art, like life, is a process.  You have go continue to do and search, even though you may not always understand everything.  Eventually, you might look back and say....Ooh, I get it now! And if you don't, look at what you have learned in the process. 

Last week I was contemplating what I could use for inspiration this week and started noticing signs.  All kinds of signs, and words everywhere.  Words are such a huge part of our lives.  I started thinking about how would we communicate without words? We speak, sign, read and write words.

Are you wondering where am I going? This week I am taking a journey in typography.  My format will be a little different this week, depending on where I go with it. Below are some photos that are examples of some of the many, many different places we encounter letters, words & signs. 


Transportation, to identify who it belongs to



Team uniforms
(my son, S, in '07 at the Wax Museum in NYC)



Times Square, all different kinds of signs



Museum displays
(my daughter, K, in '07
at the Wax Museum in NYC)



In case you forget what restaurant
you are eating at, or even for photos
like this one, I know where I was



This is where you are



Advertising



Store signage



Packaging




Flags to convey information:
Open, I'm a Saints Fan....



We sell this in our store...



Historical informaiton



My nephew, G, showing us on a map
where he was adopted from in Russia



Historic Site Information



Museum display information

Just a few different ways we communicate with words.

1 comment:

JoLene said...

Looking forward to seeing where you go with this :-D